My sister and I, when we talk, talk in the language of loss, of things that haven't happened, choices that should have been made.
We don't mean to, really. It just kind of happens.
I suppose it's who we are.
Admittedly, we were raised better than this. Raised to know our intrinsic worth. Somehow that's fallen by the wayside these days. Then again, these days have been tough to say the least.
Tonight, she's talking careers. The gist is this: there was a contract, not signed for good reasons. Or, at least for good reasons when it was in the offing. You work with all of the information that you have at the time. What else can you do?
A year or so later, she's second guessing herself: What has she lost in the meantime? Was it worth it? Is it better to do without? To hope for the ideal situation, the one that may never come? Or, when it does, turn out to be a disappointment like all the rest?
Maybe the best thing is to take what you can get and work within those parameters. To compromise.
I see myself doing that very thing.
I'm making minor adjustments, but they still add up.
Perhaps it's an issue of too much change all at once. For now, I'm content to see how it all plays out.
Passive, yes. But, an option all the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment